Valentine's Day Facts
- Total US consumer spending on Valentine's Day is about $20
- Average spend per person: $150
- 64% of men buy flowers for Valentine's Day
- 36% of women buy flowers for Valentine's Day
- US consumers will spend about $2 billion on flowers
224 million roses are grown for Valentine's Day.
- 63% of people buying roses choose
red roses. The second most popular color for roses was pink
(27%), followed by white (26%), mixed colors of roses (20%),
purple/lavender (18%), yellow (15%), orange (11%), and
- Consumers will spend about $20 billion on all Valentine's
Day gifts (candy, clothing, jewelry, eating out, etc.) ; of that
about $4.5 billion on silver and gold items.
- Consumers spend about $1,700,000 ($1.7 billion) on
Valentine's Day candy.
150 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged annually;
about 6 million of them are handmade.
Romance... or sex:
- 85% of men say sex is an important p[art of Valentine's Day
- About 6 million people propose marriage on Valentine's Day
US Census Bureau
National Retail Federation